Why start another blog in a world of blogs? I have several reasons and they are somewhat self-serving, though it is my hope that they will be helpful to others in the end.
- Because writing helps to clarify thinking in ways that speaking cannot. It is my regret that I have spoken too much and written too little in recent years, and this blog is an attempt to remedy the situation.
- It gives me a centralized place to store what I have written and intend to write.
- It exposes these thoughts to the critiques, and possibly critical thinking, of others. Of course, this assumes that someone will actually read this blog.
It is my intention that my primary source material will be the Bible, with secondary sources being all things that are related to the Bible, either directly or indirectly. That should narrow it down a bit! Seriously, if what Piper says is true, and I'm inclined to think that most of what he says is true, then practically everything in the universe is related to the Bible and to the God who gave us the Bible, and if we don't think about all things in their relation to God, then we are not thinking correctly or adequately about those things.
Which leads me to a few presuppositions which I bring to this blog...
- There is an eternal, infinite, transcendent, holy, triune God. (Not an exhaustive list of his attributes, by any means.)
- This God created the universe and everything in it. (Genesis 1.1)
- The universe continues to exist only because God holds all things together. (Colossians 1.17)
- God has revealed himself to us in the person of his Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Bible, of which Jesus Christ is the primary subject. (Luke 24.25-27, 44-47)
- Every person who has ever existed is a sinner in need of salvation which is only possible through faith in Jesus Christ. (Romans 3.23, John 14.6, Ephesians 2.8-9)
- God does everything, absolutely everything, to display his glory. (John Piper)
- The cross and crucifixion of Jesus Christ was no exception. (John 17.1-5, Acts 2.23, 4.27-28)
To wrap up this initial post I'll offer a few disclaimers...
- I reserve the right to edit anything that appears on this blog, either before or after it is published.
- Any and all comments by any and all readers are welcome.
- I reserve the right to preview, post, reject or delete any of those comments.
- I reserve the right to delete this entire blog at any given time, though I don't expect that to happen.
- I reserve the right to abide by, forget, reject, change, alter, or remove any or all of these disclaimers at any given time.